Wednesday, July 10, 2013

MAKE IT FROM SCRATCH: Three Easy Salad Dressings


Salads have a prominent place in our warm weather menus, and that means we go through a lot of salad dressing at this time of year. Of course, since I make just about everything from scratch, that goes for our salad dressings, too. It doesn't have to take a lot of time or effort to whip together a salad dressing -  I usually do mine in small batches while I'm cooking dinner. I have three "standard" dressings that I can make in next to no time - I don't even measure the ingredients! With a bit of experience it's easy to "eyeball" it and adjust amounts to taste as you go.
 
As I already mentioned, I usually make these in small amounts (just enough for one meal) although they can be made in larger quantities and stored in the fridge for a few days. The buttermilk and herb dressing doesn’t keep as well with fresh herbs mixed into it but will be okay for a day or two. I have a small glass pitcher that has about a one cup volume – I mix all the ingredients up right in the pitcher and serve! 

My Three Favourite Salad Dressings: 

1. Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
 Combine the following in a small glass pitcher or jar:

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1½ tsp Dijon mustard
1½ tsp honey
¼ tsp each salt and pepper

Whisk together thoroughly until well combined and serve.

2. Thousand Island Dressing
Combine the following in a small glass pitcher or jar:

2 large spoonfuls of mayonnaise
approximately 1 tbsp of ketchup (enough to make the mayonnaise a light pink colour)
1-2 tsp relish (I use our homemade zucchini relish)
a few drops of Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp each salt and pepper
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or enough to thin to desired consistency)

Whisk together thoroughly until well combined and serve.

3. Buttermilk and Herb Salad Dressing
Combine the following in a small glass pitcher or jar:

1 large spoonful of mayonnaise
1 large spoonful of sour cream
2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (parsley, chives, oregano, basil)
¼ tsp each salt and pepper
⅛ tsp paprika
enough buttermilk to thin to desired consistency

Whisk together thoroughly until well combined and serve.

Do you make your own salad dressings? What's your favourite recipe that you can throw together quickly?

For more simple, tasty and family-friendly recipes like this one, check out my book: Cheap Appétit: The Complete Guide to Feeding Your Family for Less Than $400 a Month (While Eating Better Than You Ever Thought Possible)

I've added new events to my EVENTS PAGE. Come find out where you can catch up with me over the next few months at a signing, seminar, workshop or food demo HERE.

Love what you read here? Find out how you can help support this blog. 

Want to stay connected in between blog posts?

Click HERE to follow me on Pinterest 

Click HERE to follow me on Twitter

Click HERE to like Abundance on a Dime on Facebook and get updates and tips on living frugally

Click HERE to like Cheap Appétit on Facebook and get updates and tips on frugal eating and cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails