Thursday, October 18, 2012

Our October Food Co-op Order


We received our October order from the Ontario Natural Food Co-op last week. It's a bit smaller than some of our previous orders. We're still well stocked on bulk oats, cornmeal, raisins, and coconut so I didn't need to order any of those items. Since we just bought 40 more pounds of meat from VG Meats last month (10 lb each of pork chops, chicken legs, ground beef and Italian sausages) our freezers are also very full, so I have limited space to store extra bulk items right now.

Here's what we ended up getting:

Front row (on floor):
10 kg Oak Manor organic whole wheat flour, $21.39 (local)
4.1 kg Nuts to You organic peanut butter, $46.88 (local)
Full case (12 x 400 ml) Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk, $26.96

Left hand chair:
Filsinger's organic apple cider vinegar, 500 ml, $3.16 (local)
Dutchman's Gold honey (unpasteurized), 2 x 1 kg, $16.96 (local)
Camino cane sugar (organic, Fair Trade), 1 kg, $6.09
Oak Manor organic popcorn, 2 x 1 kg, $12.30 (local)
Oak Manor organic pumpkin seeds, 1 kg, $10.64

Right hand chair:
Celestial Seasonings Gingerbread Spice Tea, 3 x 20 ct box, $10.29
*Natracare pads, 14 ct box, $4.91
Simply Natural organic Dijon mustard, 330 ml, $2.64
Oak Manor organic sunflower seeds, $5.80
Wholesome Sweeteners brown sugar (organic, Fair Trade), 681 g, $5.03
Nature Clean liquid soap, 1 litre bottle, $6.17 (Canadian)
Nature's Path organic flax seed, 425 g, $5.78

*I'm still using my homemade menstrual pads, but I've had to concede that they aren't that comfy for my hot yoga classes, so that's what the Natracare pads are for - since I'm only using them for my yoga class, this box should last me a year :)

Grand total: $183. 18 (after a $1.82 COD discount)

The big splurge this order is the peanut butter. It's produced in Paris, Ontario which is very local to us to I couldn't resist giving it a try. I really hope we love it as we certainly have a lot of it now! I'm also trying out Oak Manor's organic whole wheat flour for the first time as well. Everything I've bought from them thus far has been absolutely top notch (their popcorn pops up incredibly light and fluffy with very few unpopped kernels) so I'm expecting to love the flour, too.

On a related note, I'm very excited to be participating in the first meeting of the Sourcing Action Team for the Mustard Seed, Hamilton's cooperative grocery store. We'll be hunting down all the local food producers to supply the store with a wide variety of fresh, local foods. It's going to be a big task, however, we are so blessed to live in an area where there is a lot of local food production. Having one store I can go to and purchase a huge variety of locally sourced foods is going to be so amazing! It seems almost too good to be true, but there are a lot of very committed people determined to make this happen. I just can't wait and I'm so thrilled to be a part of it all.

Have you discovered any great new local foods lately?

 Love what you read here? Find out how you can help support this blog. 

Want to stay connected in between blog posts?

Click HERE to follow me on Twitter

Click HERE to like Abundance on a Dime on Facebook and get updates and tips on living frugally

Click HERE to like Cheap Appétit on Facebook and get updates and tips on frugal eating and cooking

1 comment:

  1. Awesome haul!! I just got an order of local pork today... Yum! Always buy local & organic meat!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails