Wednesday, September 26, 2012

My Favourite New Gardening Trick of 2012


I love having a vegetable garden, and I'm so grateful we've managed to carve out the space for one in our tiny urban backyard. Although I've been growing some of my own food for about 15 years now, I'll admit I don't have the greenest of thumbs - so I'm always thrilled to discover a food-producing plant that will thrive under my care.

This year I finally got around to trying out a little trick I'd heard about ages ago: regrowing grocery store purchased green onions in my garden. As you can see from the above photo, it worked like a charm! My little army of onions all grew robustly, and yielded us many times over the original purchase of green onions. Even better, I had constant access to freshly cut green onions whenever I wanted them. They are one of those foods that doesn't store all that well in the fridge, and even using this trick to make them last longer doesn't compare to cutting them fresh off the plant whenever you want some!

How to do it:
When you're using your store-purchased green onions, use only the green part. Save the bottom white part with the roots intact. Now all you need to do is plant this green onion "stub" in your garden - bury it just deep enough down that the roots are fully covered and the rest of the onion stub stands up firmly in place. 

Remember to water regularly, and soon you should notice the green part of the onion starting to regrow itself. Pretty cool, huh?

When you want to harvest some green onions, simply snip off the green parts, leaving the lower white portion intact (like you did before you planted them). They will continue to regrow themselves indefinitely (mine are still going strong after several shearings).

For those of you who don't have a garden, I'm pretty sure this would work if you planted them in a pot and stuck them in a nice sunny window.

Have you successfully regrown any type of grocery store produce? If so, I'd love to hear the details, so please share in the comments.

Love what you read here? Find out how you can help support this blog. 

Want to stay connected in between blog posts?

Click HERE to follow me on Twitter

Click HERE to like Abundance on a Dime on Facebook and get updates and tips on living frugally

Click HERE to like Cheap Appétit on Facebook and get updates and tips on frugal eating and cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails