Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Handful of Holiday Thoughts


My husband has very kindly passed his cold on to me (that's the spirit of holiday giving!) and due to my congested head it seems I'm incapable of forming a long enough string of coherent thoughts to write a whole post on one topic. So I'm just going to toss out a few random tidbits that might prove useful in planning your festivities.

1. Christmas Eve is THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY. Despite the fact that I'm way behind my usual schedule in terms of Christmas preparation, I shall NOT panic. I will NOT try to accomplish some superhuman list of activities in the next 21 days. I will do the things that are most important to me and my family, and let the rest fall by the wayside. I really like what Sarah over at Clover Lane has to say about just saying no to the Christmas craziness.

2. I am going to start baking cookies this weekend. Cookies are one of the things that are very important to Christmas around here. If you are planning to do cutout cookies with your kids (or someone else's), I cannot recommend these White Velvet Cutouts highly enough. The dough is incredibly forgiving; it doesn't crumble or dry out so it's perfect for kids to work with - and it makes great tasting cookies! Other favourites in our house are Cookie Jar Gingersnaps (I use 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup of coconut oil in place of the shortening, and a full tablespoon of ginger), Magic Cookie Bars (I make my own condensed milk for use in this recipe), Eggnog Thumbprints, Whipped Shortbread and my mom's fruitcake cookies - which are a really unique cookie and an old family recipe that I just might get around to sharing here!

3. If you're looking for some clutter-free gift ideas, Angela over at My Year Without Spending has a great post on Experiential Gift Ideas.

4. If you could use a good laugh, Kristen over at The Frugal Girl shares 10 Ways to Have a Disastrously Spendy Christmas. I know none of you will be doing anything on that list. right?

5. If you're looking for some more quick, homemade personal-care type products to pair up with the lip balm and hard lotion I shared last week, head over to Crunchy Betty for over 20 great ideas.

Do you have a quick holiday-related tip to share with us?

1 comment:

  1. Holidays = Family + Friends
    Holiday Song-Share: URL: http://youtu.be/tO_dHTi2joY

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails