Friday, August 27, 2010

What are Your Bargain-Hunting Habits?

I've been noticing lately how many little bargain-hunting habits I've developed - things I do routinely, almost without thinking about it! So of course I started wondering whether everyone else had these regular sorts of rituals or not. Here are the things I do on a daily/weekly basis to keep my eye out for good deals:

1. Check Simplyfrugal.ca daily for new updates on Canadian freebies, sales, and discounts. This is the best source I've found so far for exclusively Canadian deals and I usually find a great freebie or coupon at least once or twice a week.

2. Patrol the reduced racks at the grocery store every time I go (my neighbourhood store has a fruit and vegetable rack and a bread/baked goods rack) and take a stroll past the meat counter to look for marked down meat and unadvertised specials.

3. Browse the "free" ads on Kijiji and Craigslist  a couple of times a week to see what goodies people are giving away (I also check the "wanted" ads to see if I can help out anyone who's looking for something).

4. On Thursdays, our big stack of sales flyers for the week gets delivered. I sit down with a cup of coffee and wade through them, noting the good deals and starting to plan our shopping trip(s) for the week.

5. On Fridays, I check the newspaper classifieds and the listings on Kijiji and Craigslist for the upcoming weekend's yard sales, and plan my yard sale route.

6. On Saturday morning (and sometimes Sunday) I head out on my weekly yard sale rounds.

7. On Sunday evenings, I keep an eye on the curb for anything our neighbours may have set out for trash pickup that I might want to divert from the landfill :) I generally keep my eyes open anytime I'm out and about for the possibility of a good curbside find. Just yesterday my boys scooped a huge box of free Lego from the side of the road (yes, it was clearly marked "free" on the box!)

What bargain-hunting rituals do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails