Monday, July 26, 2010

Weekly Menu Retrospective #5

Welcome to my weekly roundup of the past week's eats. I prefer to report what we ate in the last week, rather than what we're planning to eat in the coming week. Why? The reason is pretty simple: although I usually have a general idea of what we're going to eat in the next week or so, life often unfolds a little differently than planned, and I adjust my menu plan on a near-daily basis to accommodate leftovers and other not-possible-to-plan-ahead circumstances. I find this is the easiest way to ensure that I minimize our family's food waste. I'm also willing to admit that I'm a rather spontaneous cook, given to preparing foods that strike me as the most appealing thing to eat right here and now!

Breakfasts: chocolate chip banana muffins, homemade granola, zucchini bran muffins, pancakes and hash browns

Lunches: leftover Curried Turkey & Rice Salad, peanut butter bagels (bagels from the discount rack), grilled cheese, pizza

Suppers:

Monday: Leftover baked pasta with sausage*

Tuesday: Baked beans (homemade), hush puppies with rhubarb ketchup, leftover celery & sunflower seed salad

Wednesday: Cheese omelettes (leftover beans on the side for the boys, leftover salad on the side for me)

Thursday: Barbecued chicken thighs, green beans (some from the garden) with lemon & herb butter, baked potatoes with sour cream

Friday: Hot dogs, leftover green beans, parmesan & herb noodles and sauce*


Saturday: Spaghetti

Sunday: Tuna burgers*, cheesy cauliflower casserole*, refrigerator dills, peach clafouti*

Snacks & Sides: homemade yogurt, watermelon, peaches, bananas, strawberries

*these recipes coming to the blog soon, stay tuned!

For more great menu planning ideas, head on over to orgjunkie.com for Menu Planning Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Rhubarb ketchup? I'm very curious! How do you make it? Is it anything like ketchup?
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy - it's not a lot like regular tomato ketchup, more like a chutney I'd say, but not as chunky and thick as some chutneys are. I got the recipe from Company's Coming: Preserves by Jean Pare.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails