Sunday, July 4, 2010

Weekly Menu Retrospective #2

Welcome to my weekly roundup of the past week's eats. I prefer to report what we ate in the last week, rather than what we're planning to eat in the coming week. Why? The reason is pretty simple: although I usually have a general idea of what we're going to eat in the next week or so, life often unfolds a little differently than planned, and I adjust my menu plan on a near-daily basis to accommodate leftovers and other not-possible-to-plan-ahead circumstances. I find this is the easiest way to ensure that I minimize our family's food waste. I'm also willing to admit that I'm a rather spontaneous cook, given to preparing foods that strike me as the most appealing thing to eat right here and now!

Breakfasts: bagels with cream cheese, pancakes, chocolate zucchini muffins (recipe coming in tomorrow's post!), waffles, banana chocolate chip muffins.

Lunches: were mostly leftover this week; Pulled Pork sandwiches (using leftover Pulled Pork from last Sunday's dinner), leftover cabbage and macaroni salads, and salads using greens from the garden (with additions such as avocado, cheese and sunflower seeds to make them good and hearty). There was lots of fresh fruit to go on the side - strawberries, cantaloupe, watermelon, and cherries.

Suppers:


Monday: Colourful Cabbage Salad, Macaroni Salad (with tuna and cheese), Chickpea Salad with Lemon & Herbs, Hush Puppies with rhubarb ketchup

Tuesday: Thai-Style Peanutty Pasta

Wednesday: Lentil Soup, toast (homemade whole wheat bread)

Thursday: Pulled Pork sandwiches (yes, still MORE leftovers!), Oven Fries, Colourful Cabbage Salad

Friday: Leftover Buffet (soup, Thai pasta and salads)

Saturday: Spaghetti

Sunday: We went to the beach, so our big meal was a picnic for lunch, which included turkey salad sandwiches (I had leftover cubed cooked turkey in the freezer from a 99 cent-per-pound turkey I bought around Easter and cooked for my May birthday), assorted side salads (last of the leftover salads from earlier in the week), watermelon and canteloupe, ginger cookies and kettle corn.

Supper was cheese omelettes.

To get lots of other great menu ideas,  head on over to Menu Planning Monday at orgjunkie.com.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails