Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Successful Soup Experiment

There's nothing "new" about making soup from leftovers; that's Standard Operating Procedure for any frugalista. Soup usually makes its way onto our menu at least once a week because it is so accommodating. However, this week's creation was a bit different from my usual and I wasn't entirely sure if it was going to work out! I had the clever idea to use all the leftovers from our Sunday ham dinner to make a ham, cheese and potato chowder.

I'm happy to report that the end result was quite satisfying (I admit I breathed a sigh of relief when both boys dug in and pronounced it edible!)

Here's how I made it (to the best of my memory):

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp butter
leftover twice-baked potato casserole (about 2 cups worth)
about 2 cups of milk
leftover cooked peas and carrots (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 smallish slices leftover ham, diced
1 tsp each salt and pepper
about 3/4 cup grated cheddar

In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in the butter until tender. Add the mashed potatoes and milk and whisk together until smooth. Add vegetables, ham, salt and pepper and cheese and cook until hot and bubbly. Add more milk as needed to adjust the soup's consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails