Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Easter Game Plan

I've been procrastinating like crazy about finalizing my plans for Easter basket goodies and meal menus. There are so many delicious looking ideas out there and I've changed my mind several times already. Now that there are only five days left until the big day it's time for me to decide what is making the final cut and get busy putting it all together!

Here's how it's shaping up:

Homemade Easter treats for baskets:
-chocolate dipped marshmallows on a stick coated in Easter "quinns" (those cute little bitty sugar thingies shaped like bunnies and chicks)
-cream cheese mints in spring colours, cut into "flower" shapes

These will be supplemented with store-bought chocolate eggs (for hunting) and probably a couple other treats like jellybeans to put inside hollow plastic eggs for the baskets
-I'm also going to make up some "coupons" for the boys for things like ice cream cones at McDonald's, playing a game of cards together, a game of catch at the park and other inexpensive and free "treats" that I know they really like - I'll tuck those into plastic eggs as well.

Easter breakfast:
Mimosas
Homemade hot cross buns
(plus lots of chocolate, lol!)

Lunch:
light nibbles - fruit, cheese, etc
Strawberry Lemonade (I use regular lemonade concentrate for mine)

Dinner:
Roast turkey with stuffing
Turkey gravy
Baked ham
Roasted potatoes
Roasted asparagus (if I can find some that's grown in North America!), otherwise I'll do green beans instead
Carrots in honey butter
Whole wheat rolls (made from Whole Wheat Refrigerator Dough)

White wine

Black and White Cheesecake Squares
Pavlova with Lemon Curd and Strawberries

Whew! Now that I've got that all sorted out I need to make a prep schedule so I don't go nuts doing everything at the last minute (not that I would ever do that ::ahem::). I ended up picking desserts that I can do most or all of the prep for a day or two ahead. Most everything else I'm making is a tried and true recipe so I expect things to go fairly smoothly!

I will post picks of the finished products after the event.

If you want more Easter dinner inspiration, check out what Christy at Southernplate.com is making - I think she's going to be spending even more time in the kitchen than I am!

Happy Easter, everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails